Evan is a unique kid. Not so unique in the fact that like most kids his age, he loves to eat, sleep, & skate. But unique in the fact that unlike most other 8yr olds, Evan already has a 540, a McTwist, a wide variety of other tricks he can pull out on the vert ramp at the drop of a hat. And oh yeah, Tony Hawk recently saw some footage of Evan skating and subsequently tweeted "540, 8 years old, nuff said."
NAME: Evan "Big E" Doherty
Birthday: February 5, 2003
Hometown: Salem, New Hampshire
Current Residence: Greenwood, Missouri
Been a member of Triple 8 since 2011
- 2nd Place - Combi AM Pool Party
- 1st Place - Texas Vert Revival - Set a record for 21 consecutive 540's
- March 2012- Became the Youngest Skater to land a Full Pull (full run) on the Mega Ramp in California
- 1'st Gatorade Free Flow Tour Vert
- 3'rd King of the Groms Championships Expert Vert
- 2'nd Dew Tour Ocean City Am Vert
- September 2011 - Became the youngest kid to land a 720 on a half pipe
- 1st Place Expert Bowl & Best Trick, Annual Bowl Bash in Springfeild, MO
- 1st Place Expert Bowl, King of the Groms Qualifiers at 3rd Lair Skatepark, Minneapolis, MN
- 1st place /Gold Medal Vert - All Ages Sponsored Division, National State Games August 2011, in Encinitas CA
- 4th place - Bowl - All Ages Sponsored Division, National State Games
- June 9, 2011 - Fox 4 News Segment, appearing with Rob Dyrdek & Sean Malto for Street League Kansas City Promotion
- 1st Place Bowl (9 & under) "Grind for Life Series" New Smyrna Beach, FL May 25, 2011
- 1st place Flow (9 &under) "Grind for Life Series "at Cocoa Beach FL, April 23, 2011
- 1st place Street (9 & under) "Grind for Life Series" -Skatepark of Tampa, FL February 5, 2011
- 1st Place Intermediate Raymore, MO Raymore Annual Skate Competition April 30, 2011
- 1st Place Intermediate Milwaukee, WI 4 Seasons Skatepark Mini-Ramp Champ Series March 19, 2011
- Skate Demo with Pro-Skater Brian Sumner & We are Second Reinvention Tour Concert with Superchick & Manafest , Overland Park KS April 10, 2011
- 1st Place Beginner Street Southern Slaughter at 3rd Lair , Minneapolis, MN January 29-30, 2011
- 1st Place Intermediate Bowl Chili Bowl Competition , Springfield MO , October 30, 2010
- 5th Place All Ages VANS Warped Tour St. Louis, MO , July 5, 2010
- 1st Place Intermediate Battle for the Cup Stop Finals Parsons ,KS June 26,2010
- 1st Place Intermediate Annual Skate Competition, Blue Springs, MO June 19, 2010
- 1st Place Beginner Street Midwest Mayhem , 4 Seasons Skatepark, Milwaukee, WI February 27, 2010
How does a typical day in the life of Big E go? Wake up, eat breakfast, skate. Midmorning snack, skate. Eat lunch, skate. Mid-afternoon snack, skate. Eat dinner, skate. Go to bed, and dream about skating. During the school year, I fit that in too. To sum it up, if I am well fed and skating - I'm stoked.
What is the weirdest encounter you have had while on the road? We were traveling one night to Minneapolis to see a Plan B demo the next day. It was night, pouring rain, in the middle of Iowa, and driving was terrible. Dad hydroplaned off the road, into a road sign, backwards down an embankment , and crashed into a tree - completely shattering the windows. I was in the back seat holding on for dear life. My helmet, which was in the back of the car, flew out the back window as it shattered. It was so dark we couldn't find it, and glass was everywhere. It was really a close call. The rescue crew came, and we were towed out of the ditch and back on the road. Luckily, despite all the damage, the car was still driveable- slow but driveable. Rather than turn around, we stopped, taped up the windows with plastic and kept heading to Minneapolis. It was freezing, and wet, but we eventually made it hours later, in time for some skating and the demo. Our car ended up being totaled ...and I never did find my helmet!
Why do you choose Triple 8 for all your protective needs? Not only are the helmets sick, the pads are unrivaled as well. Besides the fact that the lid makes sure that my head is safe when I'm out trying new tricks, I'm a sucker for a comfy helmet. Trust me, I've tried other ones and nothing gives compares. Also, love the sweat saver liner, because Mom says I am just a big ball of sweat.
Who’s your favorite other rider to ride with? Tough to narrow it down. I love riding with all my friends. But Chad Pollock is super fun to ride with. Been skating with hime since I moved to KC. He's got sick "old-school" style.
Favorite Local Spot? For Street I always head to OP (Overland Park) to skate under the lights. Love the bowl at Penn Valley. And it's tough to beat the mini ramp at Grandview. Vert? That one's easy. My parents built a vert ramp in our backyard which I can skate almost year round.
Words to live by? From the beginning it has been - No helmet, no skate ...and.. If it looks like you can skate it - skate it. If it doesn't look like you can skate it - skate it anyway!
Photo Credit: Brady Miller and Tim Rogers